Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why my noodle squash smelt like melon

These days, i am very tired out by the heat by evening time. And the meeeeeemememememememe calling of the cicadas remind me all the time it is still summer.
I am usually at my peak in the morning/early afternoon, so this morning, i decided to check out whether my brain was really alright yesterday evening while preparing dinner or the noodle pumpkin really smelt like melon!
You see, the noodle pumpkin looks like this
And is the size of the usual butternut squash.
I found tiny ones too
About the size of a mini papaya.
I happily halved it, and was going to grill it and have us tuck in straight from the skins for dinner.
BUT the smell of melon was strong, and i thought, hey i didn't buy any melon, where is the smell coming from?
This is what it looks like in there
very similar to the insides of the noodle squash, just that the colour was not right too; white.
Hmm, last year when we had this, it was yellow.
Had a taste of it, and it was sweet. This is weird. I quickly tossed it back into the fridge for further investigation today and steamed a portion of the huge noodle squash instead.

Well, tasting it again this morning. Yes, indeed super sweet, slightly crunchy like the cucumber and tastes totally melon.
Checked the internet for "yellow melon", and yeah! indeed there is such a thing!
Apparently, this was commonly eaten in the olden days here, and it is called kinsho melon.
Phew, i'd thought the heat was getting into my head too much.

Dinner tonight was grilled sweet eggplants with wafu meat sauce


burdock & carrot kinpira, miso soup, and la-yu to help with the rice.

I am flabergasted at the news of children growing breasts after drinking formla milk. !?!?!!!

No comments: